- Jesus’ birth (out of a woman, he says, with no mention of a human father - Paul does not give names of parents – neither his own nor, unsurprisingly therefore, Jesus’ parents)
- Jesus’ location (Judea)
- Jesus’ childhood included having brothers and being in a family of observant Jews
- era in which Jesus lived (first half of first century - see timeline)
- Paul also references moral teachings in a way consistent with someone who knew they were Jesus’ teachings
- he also references Jesus’ apocalyptic views in a similar way
- he mentions Jesus’ betrayal (although he does not care to name his betrayer, just as he mentions ‘the twelve’ without bothering to name most of them)
- Paul calls Jesus the 'Son of Adam', which in Hebrew of course is exactly the same as 'Son of Man' (ben-'adam), the name by which Jesus called himself
Jesus’ genealogy and birth
- Indeed: "To them [the Jews] belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Messiah" (Romans 9:5)
- servant – and this was towards circumcised people (that is to say, Jews) (Romans 15:3, 8)
- Jesus chose a life of poverty, and Paul describes Jesus as meek and gentle (2 Corinthians 8:9; 10:1
- 'the twelve' (1 Cor 15:5). Paul just assumes that the reader knows what he means by 'the twelve'.
- 1 Thess 4:15-16 = Matthew 24:31 (note the mention of the trumpet)
- 1 Thess 4:17 = Matthew 25:5-7 (note the mention of meeting Jesus)
- 1 Thess 5:3-7 = Matthew 24:42-43 (note the mention of the thief in the night)
- 1 Cor 7:10-11 = Mark 10:9-12 (on marriage and divorce)
- 1 Cor 9:14 = Luke 10:7 (on labourers for the Lord being paid)
- There is a general alignment too with a good deal of Jesus' ethical teaching, and it is striking that out of all the alternatives in Paul's world, this finds its way into his letters. So in Romans:
- Romans 12:14 = Matthew 5:44
- Romans 12:17 = Matthew 5:38-48
- Romans 13:7 = Mark 12:17
- Romans 13:8 = Mark 12:31
- Romans 14:13 = Mark 9:42
- Romans 14:14 = Mark 7:15
- Romans 14:20 = Mark 7:19
Did Jesus Really Exist? 1. A little introduction
Did Jesus Exist? 3a. What did St Paul know about the life story of Jesus?
Did Jesus Exist? 3b. Why didn’t St Paul say more about Jesus?
Did Jesus Exist? 3c. Did Peter and Paul talk about Jesus?
So when did St Paul persecute the church? (And when did Jesus die?)
Did Jesus Exist? 5. Did Paul invent Jesus?