Saturday 16 December 2023

What goes for Jesus: does it go for the Archangel Michael or not?

 

I have said in an earlier post why in some ways I have admiration for those who call themselves one of  Jehovah’s witnesses. So this time, rather than repeat myself, I'll get straight to the problem.

When I have listened to witnesses talk about their belief that Jesus is actually the Archangel Michael - that is what Jehovah's witnesses believe - I find it leaves problems unsolved.

The following problem is particularly key. Jesus is in a very exalted position in Christian scripture. If the Kingdom Halls' beliefs are correct, it should be possible to replace the word ‘Jesus’ with the word ‘Archangel’ in scripture verses, without doing damage to the sense of it. You may never have thought of trying it. But it's a good way to test this. 

Let’s test it then as an exercise just for this one post only. I’ll try substituting the word ‘Archangel’ for ‘Jesus’ or for ‘Christ’ in a series of New Testament verses about Jesus below. See how it sounds to you. Especially if you are a believer, how does this strike your spiritual sensibilities?

 

To start with, ‘the body of Christ’ in Ephesians 4:12 would be ‘the body of the Archangel.’ You get the idea now. This would be what you get: "to knit God's holy people together for the work of service to build up the body of THE ARCHANGEL". My question: how does this unusual statement strike you? And why believe you are the body of an archangel?

 

And Ephesians 5:30-32? - "we are parts of the ARCHANGEL's body... the two become one flesh. This mystery has great significance, but I am applying it to the ARCHANGEL and the church". My question: why would you want to be one flesh with an archangel?

 

Or Philippians 2? - “at the name of THE ARCHANGEL every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that THE ARCHANGEL is Lord”. My question to believers: do you bow to angels? (Have you read Revelation?)

 

Or Ephesians 5:19-20? - “sing and make melody in your heart to THE ARCHANGEL”.  My question: why ever practice such devotions to an archangel?

 

Or 1 Peter 3:15? - "sanctify THE ARCHANGEL as Lord in your hearts". My question: why practice such devotions to an archangel? Surely that is ill-judged religion.

 

How about Revelation 5:13? - "to the ARCHANGEL be praise and honour and glory and power, for ever and ever!" My question: why ever practice such vocal devotion and adoration to an archangel?

 

Or 2 Thessalonians 1:12 - ‘That the name of THE ARCHANGEL may be glorified in you’. My question: Who should such honour really be given to?

 

Or how about God's purposes, revealed in John 5:23? - "that all may honour the ARCHANGEL just as they honour the Father." My question: why give to an archangel honour on a par to the God the Father? How is that ever true religion?

 

Or Galatians 3:29? - "simply by being the ARCHANGEL's, you are the progeny of Abraham". My question: do you agree that this is out of place, bizarre, and inappropriate?

 

Or Matthew 28:19? - "baptise them in the name of the Father and of the ARCHANGEL and of the Holy Spirit". My question: would you ever baptise people in the name of an archangel?

 

Or Colossians 3:16? - "whatever you say or do, let it be in the name of THE ARCHANGEL". My question: why ever put an archangel at the centre of your religious practices?

 

Or 1 Peter 2:3 - 'ye have tasted, that the ARCHANGEL is sweet'. My question: why would you ever taste an archangel?

 

Or Philippians 3:8? - "For THE ARCHANGEL's sake, I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain THE ARCHANGEL". My question: why would anyone ever do that for an angel?

 

Or Romans 16:7? - "my kinsmen and fellow-prisoners, who were in THE ARCHANGEL before me". My question to believers: are you in an archangel?

 

My question then: why would anyone ever want to practice a religion revolving like this around an archangel? It is surely misplaced to even think it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment